Naturally, as members of a common surname project, we are all interested in genetic genealogy. I would like to point you to a good article with lots of information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_genealogy.
I also want to specifically point out this part of that article, which to me makes the case for participating in our project:
Genetic genealogy gives genealogists a means to check or supplement the historical record with information from genetic data. A positive test match with another individual may:
● provide locations for further genealogical research
● help determine ancestral homeland
● discover living relatives
● validate existing research
● confirm or deny suspected connections between families
● prove or disprove theories regarding ancestry
That pretty much says it all! Keep working on your family tree and keep getting your friends and relatives involved!